Experimental Analysis of Heat Transfer Augmentation through Pipe using Baffles
Jayshri M. Lanjewar, S. A. Borikar
Volume 1: Issue 4, Dec 2014, pp 204-209
Jayshri M. Lanjewar1
1Mechanical Engineering, Kavi Kulguru Institute of Technology and Science, Ramtek, Maharashtra, India.
S. A. Borikar2
2Mechanical Engineering, Kavi Kulguru Institute of Technology and Science, Ramtek, Maharashtra, India.
Abstract:-Energy saving plays a significant role in industrial development as well as decreasing environmental effect. The necessity of energy saving is increasing because of the current energy prices. Reducing energy cost can be achieved by producing more resourceful devices. Heat exchangers are the most significant apparatuses in the refrigeration, automotives, chemical and process industries. So there is a need for the cost effective, more efficient and compact heat exchanger in the industrial market. In passive heat transfer enhancement strategy the use of inserts in channel is commonly used. Considering the rise in energy demand, effective heat transfer enhancement techniques have become important task . The present paper is a detail study of experimentation carried out and calculations based on that experimentation. According to recent studies inserts are known to be economic heat transfer augmentation tools..
Index Terms:-Baffle, heat transfer enhancement, Inserts, Augmentation
- Tzeng, S. C., Jeng, T. M. ,Wang, Y. C., 2006. Experimental study of forced convection in asymmetrically heated sintered porous channels with/without periodic baffles. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 49 78–88.
- Kurtbas, I., 2008. The effect of different inlet conditions of air in a rectangular channel on convection heat transfer: Turbulence flow. Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science. 33, 140–152.
- Kang-HoonKo, Anand, N. K., 2003. Use of porous baffles to enhance heat transfer in a rectangular channel.International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 46,4191–4199.
- Se Kyung Oh, Putra, A.B.K. and Ahn,S.W. ,2010. Heat transfer and fricationalcharacterstic in rectangular channel with inclined perforated baffle.International Journal of Engineering and Applied Science.6:3.
- Majumdar,R. M., Kriplani,V. M., 2011.Internal cooling augmentation using inclined perforated baffles in rectangular channel.International Journal of mechanics and Thermodynamics. 2, 113-126.
- Kwankaomeng, S., Skullong, S., Teschareon, T. and Promvonge,P., 2010. Thermal Characteristics in Square Channel with 45° Staggered Baffle inserts. PEA-AIT International Conference on Energy and Sustainable Development: Issues and Strategies (ESD 2010) The Empress Hotel, Chiang Mai, Thailand. 2-4 June 2010.
- Pimsarn, M., Sriromreun, P. and Promvonge, P., 2010.Augmented Heat Transfer in Rectangular Ductwith Angled Z-Shaped Ribs. PEA-AIT International Conferenceon Energy and Sustainable Development: Issues and Strategies(ESD 2010) The Empress Hotel, Chiang Mai, Thailand. 2-4June 2010.
- Tanda, G., 2004. Heat transfer in rectangular channels with transverse and V- Shaped Broken ribs. Elsevier Publication International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 47, 229–243.
- Sarada Naga S., RadhaKalyani K. andRaju A. V. S.,2009. Experimental investigations in circular tube to enhance turbulent heat transfer using mesh insert. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 4(5).,asian publication.
- Mujumdar, R. M., and Kriplani, V. M., 2013. Review of internal cooling augmentation using baffles. Journal of Mechanical Engineering Research, Volume 5(2), 26-31.
- Yadav, A.D. and Kriplani, V.M.,2 May 2013. Heat Transfer Augmentation Within A Plate Heat Exchanger By Different shapes of Ribs. International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Technology, 2 (5),347-350.
- Ahmet,T., 22 February 2005. Effect of flow geometry parameters on transient heat transfer for turbulent flow in a circular tube with baffle inserts Heat And Mass Transfer,Elsevier publication, 1559–1567.
- Nagarajan P.K. and Sivashanmugam P.,2010. Heat Transfer Enhancement Studies in a Circular Tube Fitted with Right-Left Helical Inserts with Spacer. Applied thermal Engineering, Elsevier publication, 1666-1672.
- Kothandaraman, C. P. &Subramanyan, 2010. Heat and Mass Transfer Data Book.7th edition, New Delhi, New Age International (P)Ltd., Publishers.
To view full paper, Download here .