Performance and Emission Characteristics of A C.I. Engine By Effect of Cerium Oxide Nanoparticles as Additive to Diesel
Nithin Samuel, Lasithan L G
Volume 1: Issue 2, April 2014, pp 103-106
1Mechanical Engineering Department, College of Engineering Adoor, Kerala, India
Lasithan L G2
2Mechanical Engineering Department, College of Engineering Adoor, Kerala, India
Abstract:-An experimental investigation is carried out to establish the performance and emission characteristics of a compression ignition engine while using cerium oxide nanoparticles as additive in neat diesel. The work has been divided into two phases. In the first phase, pure diesel is tested in a CI engine. Then in the second phase, performance characteristics are studied using the fuel added with nanoparticle in a four cylinder four stroke engine. The cerium oxide acts as an oxygen donating catalyst and provides oxygen for the oxidation of CO or absorbs oxygen for the reduction of NOx..
Index Terms:-Diesel engine, cerium oxide, nanoparticles, engine emissions
- Heejung Jung, David B. Kittelson, Michael R. Zachariah ((2005)) The influence of a cerium additive on ultrafine diesel particle emissions and kinetics of oxidation, Elsevier Journal of Combustion and Flame 142, 276–288.
- Yanan Gan, Li Qiao (2011) Combustion characteristics of fuel droplets with addition of nano and micron-sized aluminum particles, journal of Combustion and Flame 158 (2011) 354–368.
- V. Arul Mozhi Selvan, R. B. Anand and M. Udayakumar (2009) Effects Of Cerium Oxide Nanoparticle Addition In Diesel And Diesel-Biodiesel-Ethanol Blends On The Performance And Emission Characteristics Of A CI Engine, ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, VOL. 4, NO. 7.
- Ajin C. Sajeevan and V. Sajith (2012) Diesel Engine Emission Reduction Using Catalytic Nanoparticles: An Experimental Investigation, Journal of Engineering. Volume 2013, Article ID 589382, 9 pages.
- Stephen W. Chung a, Elena A. Guliants b, Christopher E. Bunkeret al.(2011) Size-dependent nanoparticle reaction enthalpy: Oxidation of aluminum nanoparticles, Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids 72, 719–724.
- Ranaware A. A.1, Satpute S. T. (2008) Correlation between Effects of Cerium Oxide Nanoparticles and Ferrofluid on the Performance and Emission Characteristics of a C.I. Engine, IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering. 2278-1684, PP: 55-59.
- A.Selvaganapthy, A.Sundar, B.Kumaragurubaran, P.Gopal (2012) An Experimental Investigation to Study the Effects of Various Nano Particles with Diesel on Di Diesel Engine, ARPN Journal of Science and Technology VOL. 3, NO. 1.
- Suthar Dinesh Kumar L.a, Dr. Rathod Pravin P.b, Prof. Patel Nikul K (2012) Performance And Emission By Effect Of Fuel Additives For Ci Engine Fuelled With Blend Of Biodiesel And Diesel - A Review Study, Ben-Gurion Journal of Engineering Research and Studies.
- Exhaust gas composition measurements Orsat gas analyzer, (2011) Division of Thermodynamics, Institute of Heat Engineering. Thermodynamics II – Laboratory Instructions Exercise No 8.
- Akira Numata, Takuya Kumagai, Yoshinori Nagae, Shinnosuke Osafune. (2001) Increase of Thermal Efficiency and Reduction of NOx Emissions in DI Diesel Engines, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. Technical Review Vol.38 No.3.
- Will Soutter (2011 )Nanoparticles as Fuel Additives, http://www.azonano.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=3085P
To view full paper, Download here .